Page 1 of 2

Procedures to obtain License for VHF Radio

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:44 pm
by ScaVenger

Well ladies and Getlemen,

i have just finished my procedures for obtaining an official operating and ownership license for a VHF Radio (Within UAE usage) From Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) - through Emirates Amateur Radio Society. If anyone wishes to apply for a VHF radio license, and legitmately own it with no issues.


**## Unfortunately, Applying , seminars, test,.. All DOne at Emirates Amatuer Radio Society (EARS) in Sharjah at Sharjah Scout Camp.##**
++ I dont know of all paper required for non-locals but E.A.R.S contact detail Below for more information.

****BTW If you apply together as a group, the faster things might go inshallah**

Here Are the Procedures:
1. When applying, need to give them a passport copy,work certificate (stating where,.. you work), UAE Id card (copy) + 500 dhs registration fee <-- This is actually all sent straight to TRA for a background check of the applicant. (This took 1-1/2month for them to recieve all Clear).

2. The (EARS) Emirates Amatuer Radio Society will contact you when they recieve the all clear from TRA and infirm you of 3 days you must attend at EARS HQ for Teaching and last day -> test. (they will teach you about VHF-HF- different things about radios and their uses+ Q_Code And Letter Code(A=Aplha, B= Bravo,... + Info about Society <-then tested on it

3. When you recieve a pass grade on the test, EARS will send info to TRA with Radio Info (Radio Serial number,....) and within 2 weeks recieve youre License to own and operate a VHF Radio.

** You have the option of buying all equipment from them if you dont have or you have to bring a radio you have and take it to them to record all Radio spec to give to TRA for License.

GPS Location : N 25 15.856 E 055 34.561 (inside Sharjah Scout Camp)

EARS Contact Info : Hatem -> 050-1309640


Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:56 pm
by xkennx
was the course in arabic only - or is there an English option. Also you didn't happen to see/overhear if you already have an US FCC lic it would convert over?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:21 pm
by ScaVenger
Hi Kenny it is offered in Both English and Arabic, and from what i understood from them that overseas (if only local use (USA only) licences are not coverted over as they say it is only for local use in USA.

IF you have a Worldwide License (HF_Class A), then you could might be able to but you would have to ask them. I will be given now an VHF (Class B) UAE use only (Not GCC use even).

Hope this helps

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 pm
by shafiq jan
After getting TRA licence we can operate UHF legally? as for off-roading we are using UHF sets.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:20 am
by ScaVenger
Yes Shafiq, after getting the license, you can legally install and use a [VHF -UAE use only radio with you. If you are interested and would like to continue, youcan continue with them and obtain an (I think it is called) HF-class A license which allows you to own and use radios with world wide connectivity.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:29 pm
by tintin
So with this, you could then go on to install a UHF CB radio, or just for the smaller walkie's that we use in the sand?

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:16 pm
by ScaVenger
you can have a proper mounted cb radio in your car with registration of it so everything legal. no worries with police as you will have an operating/license given to you with the cb radio registered on it for use.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:05 pm
by Codger
Scavenger wrote:
** You have the option of buying all equipment from them if you dont have or you have to bring a radio you have and take it to them to record all Radio spec to give to TRA for License.

Scavenger, question: if it's illegal to buy/import and operate them without a license, how is it possible to have your own in advance? Or does the ban only apply to FRS/GMRS UHF radios, and not VHF CB radios?

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:15 pm
by Codger
For any expats interested in getting a license:

Despite the TRA policy on their website stating anyone of any nationality with a residents permit can attend the training course and take the test locally, it seems that the law is being implemented in such a fashion that expats require a VHF license from their own country first. EARS are adamant that only UAE nationals can get a VHF license without having had previously.

I'm not sure if EARS themselves are the problem, or if the TRA has amended their last Amateur Regulations (version 1.0, 2009) and not put it on their website, but the fact of the matter remains that it's a waste of time trying unless you already hold one. ... igned).pdf

Articles 3.1.1. and 3.1.3.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:44 am
by Mohannad
saleh , there is any chance they will reject some of the request or not ?