2011 JK - Power

Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest.
Ring Master

2011 JK - Power

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi,

I have had my 2011 JK from new but have only recently decided to hit the dunes with it. I am finding the 3.8L V6 a little lacking in the power department, is this normal?

I am struggling with grunt up the steeper climbs. I tried my friend's FJ to check it wasn't my lack of experience. The Toyota had no problem...

Any help would be appreciated, be it mods to make the most of the engine, or things to look for regarding faults.

Thanks...
Uncle
Name: Nasser Al Karby

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Go for the Diablo tuning unit......it will greatly improve torque and add on a few horses to get over that climb :D
--
Uncle
Ahmed84
Name: Ahmed Abuebaid

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:21 pm

I agree with uncle but before, you should change your jeep fan to an electrical fan, change your air filter, and change your exhaust system. these changes will add more power to your car. I hope this will help. :)
Ring Master

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:58 am

Thanks Uncle and Ahmed 84.

I've just read this today. Incidentally, I bought a Diablo DCX a few days ago. I'm yet to test it in the desert but there is a certainly a difference in throttle response on the road...

I do think I'm on a slippery slope now. I've been thinking about a cold air intake or snorkel and an exhaust change!

Cheers!
Uncle

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:35 am

Ahmed84 wrote:I agree with uncle but before, you should change your jeep fan to an electrical fan, change your air filter, and change your exhaust system. these changes will add more power to your car. I hope this will help. :)
While that is true, I know of a couple of my friends who switched to electrical fan and had all kinds of problems.
Even the air filter and exhaust systems do not actually increase significant power other than providing you with more confidence that the car is more powerful than it actually is.

For more effective means of increasing your car's performance, try and reduce the weight of the car by removing the hard top and installing soft top, and yes, it is cooler to have soft top in summer. In winter, you can go further by removing the doors and installing those tabular doors that greatly reduce weight.

Another trick is to remove the ABS fuse completely or have it isolated when driving offroad.

I used to owned a JK 2009 and have done every mod you can think of, eventually, it all turned out to be a money throwing excercise that did little to actually transform my car into a monster except for a few misey horses.
--
Uncle
Ring Master

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:26 pm

Cool. Thanks.

I've got a Best Top soft top on now. The Diablo has made a real difference. I tweaked the throttle response an extra 25% and will use the tune to switch off the traction control completely too...
Uncle

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:58 am

Ring Master wrote:Cool. Thanks.

I've got a Best Top soft top on now. The Diablo has made a real difference. I tweaked the throttle response an extra 25% and will use the tune to switch off the traction control completely too...
Hey Ring Master,

Do not switch off the traction control using the tune. At Western Motors, they can install "isolation switch" that enables you to switch off the traction and ABS at the beginning of every offroad trip and switch it on again for onroad.
--
Uncle
Ring Master

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Great tip. Cheers!

I don't suppose you know if anyone in Dubai can do the work?

Return to “General 4X4 and Off-Road”